Bawah Reserve, Anambas Archipelago Indonesia
Bawah Reserve: A picture-perfect barefoot luxury experience that’s one for the bucket list!
Location: Anambas Archipelago (Indonesia), 300 km northeast of Singapore.
Green Hotel facts: Bawah Reserve’s commitment to the environment started even before the luxury retreat opened to the public - it took six years for the construction because no heavy machinery was allowed onto the island. From breaking boulders to recycling stones for construction material and unloading the 3.5 tonne generators, everything was done by hand.
Areas that were not vital for construction were fenced and protected. The only trees that were cut down were those on building footprints and these were recycled. The main materials used for construction were bamboo, recycled teak, timber and stone.
Renowned architect Sim Boon Yang (founder partner and director of eco.id, in charge of the design for Bawah Reserve) alongside Bawah GM Tom Blachere ensured that Bawah’s design struck a balance between environmentally friendly and luxurious.
At the Asia Clean Energy Summit in 2016, Bawah hosted a new pilot scheme with REIDS (Renewable Energy Integration Demonstrator), which aims to see 90% of Indonesia’s off-grid population provided with renewable energy through new ‘micro-grids’ that will integrate renewable energy sources. Bawah will lead the way in being the first island to be powered by this new renewable energy technology.
Their other sustainable efforts include:
- Bawah Reserve’s flora and fauna and marine life are also protected.
- There are no pesticides on the reserve, because of which, the fish and corals also flourish in the lagoons.
- Anchoring and fishing is forbidden up to 500 meters from the house reef, and those who fish responsibly are rewarded by Bawah by purchasing fish from these fishermen. The collection of shells, coral and turtle eggs is also banned.
- Wastewater at Bawah Reserve is recycled responsibly. No harsh chemicals are used in the laundry products or amenities.
- There are plans to train local farmers from a nearby island to start permaculture farming. Bawah will provide training, seeds and supervision while guaranteeing purchase of 100 per cent of the production in order to help local communities manage their waste and rehabilitate some reef areas.
- Bawah is also in talks with regional authorities to make the surrounding area a protected marine park.
Style: Amidst stunning turquoise waters, blue lagoons, and lush tropical greenery, Bawah Reserve is group of five islands that are part of a marine conservation area that offers something for everyone - whether you’re an adventurer looking to get on adrenaline or you’re just looking for an island retreat to relax and unwind.
Your carefully catered and chauffeured journey begins from your hotel in Singapore to Batam Airport in Indonesia, and then onwards in a private seaplane ride that lands you on Bawah Reserve’s gorgeous blue lagoon right in front of your suite, in time for a gourmet lunch.
Everything is taken care of for you - your kayaking and snorkeling activities, treks through the forests, gourmet meals, picnics on the beach and unlimited wellness treatments etc.
Suitable for: Couples, honeymooners, families, groups of friends, adventure and photography enthusiasts, island retreats.
Wellness: The Aura Spa & Wellness at Bawah Reserve offers traditional therapies as well as complementary wellness treatments designed to relax, invigorate and rejuvenate your body and mind. You can indulge in beach yoga and meditation sessions, reflexology, or body treatments and facials using Ytsara (an eco-friendly luxury skincare brand).
Offers and rates: Please contact us for fully inclusive rates