Fregate Island Private, Seychelles
Fregate Island Private: Seclusion and privacy amid a tropical paradise in the Indian Ocean.
Green facts: Fregate Island is a remarkable story of conservation - the lodge owners and staff have been relentlessly trying to restore and preserve the island’s ecosystem, a lot of which was destroyed by excessive farming in the 20th century.
Some of the highlights of their conservation efforts include:
- Increasing the population of Giant Aldabra Tortoises from 150 to 2200, over 25 years.
- Providing a nesting habitat for the critically endangered Hawksbill Turtle and the endangered Green Turtle.
- As the only remaining habitat of the second-rarest bird in the world (the Magpie Robin, which numbered a mere 14 a few years back), the conservationists at Fregate Island have managed to increase their population to more than 100.
- Regrowing rare and almost-extinct species of trees, such as the Wrights Gardenia and the Indian Mulberry (which the Giant Aldabra Tortoises feed on).
- The resort’s plantation gardens and hydroponics house (where they grow a large variety of tomatoes and spinach) organically grow more than 50 types of fruits and vegetables that are used to prepare the cuisine at the lodge.
Style: A conservation sanctuary in the heart of Seychelles, with a private harbour, Fregate Island is home to over a hundred species of birds and animals. It’s also an exclusive luxury island escape for its guests.
16 luxury private villas, a marina and a yacht club, amazing food and wine, a spa, and other luxuries of an island retreat aren’t all you get here - at Fregate Island, you go on island walking trails with naturalists, observe giant tortoises, have a gourmet lunch in a tree house high up in one of the island’s largest and oldest banyan trees, go diving or snorkelling with professional instructors, or just find a lovely secluded spot to relax and unwind. The options are many, and they’re all amazing!
Suitable for: Couples, families, groups of friends, weddings, honeymoons.
Wellness: The Rock Spa, at Fregate Island, is situated in a teak house on a granite hilltop overlooking a lush canopy of tropical trees, with views of the Indian Ocean.
Every guest receives a complimentary yoga session and a welcome ritual. The treatments here are created using many of the botanicals and fruits on the island. If you like, you can collect your own fruits and ingredients in the gardens, and the staff will help you create a beauty treatment for yourself.
You can also take a dip in the infinity pool, looking up at the many different birds and trees. For the action-bound, there is an air-conditioned gym by the Rock Spa with a personal trainer to help you with your workout.
Offers and inclusions: